Attempt to Trap Richard
Richard arrived this morning about 15 minutes after I set the food out. He stayed on the cul de sac and I got the trap set.
It looked like it would go well until Thomas took notice of him and started howling. Tom fluffed up big and took slow direct strides to Richard. Richard backed a few steps, then held. They stared eye to eye howling. I grabbed a sturdy stick and held it between them as Richard started to gather himself to spring. I ushered Thomas away.
With Tom moving away from conflict, I thought trapping would go okay. Then Anita arrived from the west. She is non-social and food aggressive. The other cats don't fight with her - they clear a path when she approaches. Richard settled in to observe, well clear of the food. It's clear to me that he is not looking for a fight, just needing a place to eat.
By the time Anita moved on it was clear that trapping wasn't going to happen today. I set a large bowl of food back out and retrieved the trap. Thomas allowed him to eat, keeping his back towards him 'watching' him carefully with his ears.Richard is a regular now, getting familiar with me and letting me approach closer. Maybe tomorrow, maybe next week, but he will be trapped and have a trip to the vet soon.


Comments
Post a Comment